biography_square button_minus button_plus close_artbutton exhibitionarrow_left exhibitionarrow_right follow_button home_sq-artefacetsViewArtefacts home_sq-exhibitionViewExhibitions home_sq-sqaureSupportUs home_sq-uploadUploadArtefact artist dj keyword_3 industry keyword_member magglass newburger onthisday_button profileicon randomiser_button reload_button soundcloud twitter uploadbutton zoom_in

Artefact

c.1970.
This is an image of the Northern School of Music in its final premises. It bounced around quite a bit over the years.
in 1920, the school opened in premises over Hime & Addison's music shop on Deansgate. In 1923 it moved to the Tudor Galleries at 79 Deansgate - from a single room to three. Early in 1927 the school moved, again along Deansgate to no.260. A steady growth in numbers saw the need for the school to move again, in 1933 to Oxford Road (no.s 93A and 95) above Boosey & Hawkes. In 1945 an urgent appeal was begun to extend the school buildings: with the end of the war and demobilisation, the number of applicants for admission increased. Premises adjoining the building in Oxford Road were adapted, and the extensions were ready in September 1947. In January 1955 the recently established pension fund was used to purchase no.93 Oxford Road at auction (it was being sold by the freeholder without the knowledge of the occupants). In 1958, however, there was an immediate threat to the buildings by a proposed new road (now the Mancunian Way), the line of which was planned through no.91 Oxford Road. No. 91 was demolished in 1964, the NSM having moved into no.99 where it remained until the end of its independent life.
Artefact added : 15th February 2017
by rncmarchives
If you'd like to leave a comment, please Login. Login