Royal Northern College Of Music (RNCM) – 1970
This is an image of the Northern School of Music in its final premises. It bounced around quite a bit over the years.
in 1920, the school opened in premises over Hime & Addison's music shop on Deansgate. In 1923 it moved to the Tudor Galleries at 79 Deansgate - from a single room to three. Early in 1927 the school moved, again along Deansgate to no.260. A steady growth in numbers saw the need for the school to move again, in 1933 to Oxford Road (no.s 93A and 95) above Boosey & Hawkes. In 1945 an urgent appeal was begun to extend the school buildings: with the end of the war and demobilisation, the number of applicants for admission increased. Premises adjoining the building in Oxford Road were adapted, and the extensions were ready in September 1947. In January 1955 the recently established pension fund was used to purchase no.93 Oxford Road at auction (it was being sold by the freeholder without the knowledge of the occupants). In 1958, however, there was an immediate threat to the buildings by a proposed new road (now the Mancunian Way), the line of which was planned through no.91 Oxford Road. No. 91 was demolished in 1964, the NSM having moved into no.99 where it remained until the end of its independent life.
ARTEFACT ADDED ON 15.02.2017 BY
COMMENTSIf you'd like to leave a comment, please LOG IN
DEMO TAPES (77)
MASTER TAPES (38)
ORIGINAL ARTWORK (538)
PRESS ARTICLES (1561)
PROMOTIONAL ITEMS (196)