Manchester District Music Archive
is a user-led online archive established to celebrate Greater Manchester music and its social history.
We are a not-for-profit organisation run by volunteers.
WANTED: volunteers for MDMarchive
(Architect's model of Dry Bar by Ben Kelly, 1988. Photo: Matthew Norman)
Manchester District Music Archive is a volunteer-run organisation seeking more volunteers to help oversee our online archive/website, social media networks, occasional events and administrative tasks.
Volunteers will gain experience in digital archiving, community archives, web development, arts administration, music history, social history, social media strategy, fundraising, event management or not-for-profit governance.
New volunteers will work alongside our existing volunteers. You can read more about us here.
Deadline: Tuesday 4th August 2015 - 9am
Hours: Totally flexible, but we suggest around 2-4 hours per week
Location: Volunteers can work from home, but will need to travel to central Manchester for training and occasional meetings.
- Website/database moderation
- Driving traffic to our site
- Increasing uploads to our site
- Social media management (Tweet scheduling, etc)
- Sending out a monthly e-newsletter
- Occasional event promotion via website, email, Mailchimp and social media
- Dealing with enquiries
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- High standard of web literacy
- Experience of working with databases, blogs and/or online content management systems
- Accurate written & verbal communication skills
- Passion for Greater Manchester music
- Knowledge of music subcultures and the broader social and political histories connected to music
- Demonstrable interest in digital media i.e. mobile apps, websites, software, social media, video
- Excellent attention to detail
- Understanding of diversity and access
- Tact and diplomacy
- Marvellous sense of humour
To apply to join our team of volunteers please email your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using FAO Abigail in the subject heading, along with answers to the following questions:
1. What is your favourite artefact on the Manchester District Music Archive website and why? Please include link. (200 words max)
2. What is your favourite piece of music by a band/artist from Greater Manchester and why? (200 words max)
3. If money were no object what improvements would you make to our website? (200 words max)
4. If you were the successful candidate, what steps would you take to increase uploads to our site? (200 words max)
5. Describe a mobile app you use and admire. (200 words max)
6. Describe yourself honestly in six adjectives.
Please send your answers within the main text of your email and include your CV as an attachment.
Interviews: August 13-14th (TBC)
Training Days: September 3rd-4th (TBC)
We would like to respond personally to every application, but due to time constraints this may not be possible. If you haven’t heard back from us by 7th August 2015, please assume that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
BACKSTAGE PASSES (157)
MEMBERSHIP CARDS (103)
PRESS ARTICLES (999)
PROMOTIONAL ITEMS (156)